Thursday, February 12, 2009

The One With The Little Silver Sticker.

Today was the actual orientation for new students of Kuring-Gai, and I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it more than the orientation at the City Campus; probably because this time round us newies (term for new peer networkers) had a more involved and independant role that required more leadership.

I woke up at 5 today, but then I said to myself "just 5 more minutes". Sure enough I wake up an hour later. Don't you just hate that. Anyways a last minute errand forced me to delay my travels, and thus I missed the bus to Kuring-gai, therefore I had to wait for the 9:30 shuttle bus. Now I have no experience in catching shuttle buses in the city. In fact I didn't even know if they were free or not. I made my way to the security office in Building 1 to grab a timetable for the shuttle buses and I must say, these UTS timetables could go for a major revamp. Seriously the timetables don't even have maps, nor are the locations for the passenger pickups even slightly detailed.

For example, it says "Bus stop for Markets : outside coffee shop". Outside coffee shop? WTF? I mean come on ! Seriously? Could the location be anymore vague? There could be 100 coffee shops in the markets for all I know. Anyways, I must have been standing in the wrong location because the shuttle bus drove right past me, despite the fact that I was signalling for it to stop, and thus I had to wait another hour and a half for the next one.

To kill time I went to Ultimo TAFE and picked up HCT bagel, which I must say was too damn delicious. Afterwards I went to Building 10 and picked up concession sticker which is a nice silver sticker that they stick on for you. I was hoping for a new photo altogether but oh well. Kind of funny how students have to travel all the way (depending on where you live) to uni just for a little silver sticker.

I then met up with Toby who happened to be passing by and I showed him around Building 10. I took him to the IT lounge and we had a cuppa noodles which I had been archiving in my locker since last year. Don't worry, they're still good to eat !

After that I went outside Building 10 and waited for the 10:40 shuttle bus to Kuring-gai. I tried standing in a different bus stop hoping to be spotted and picked up. Indeed my plans proved to be a success, however the bus driver told me I was standing in the wrong spot. *sigh*. Even he admitted however that the bus stop locations were all dodgy and aren't made clear on the timetable sheet. It was a good 25 minute ride with me talking to the driver the whole time about rugby league and scabbing chewing gum.

Once I arrived at the Kuring-gai campus (2 hours late) I kicked straight into gear. A BIG THANKS TO ANGELA FOR FILLING IN FOR ME DURING MY ABSENCE!. One of the things I enjoyed doing was the campus tour for the Nursing Students, despite the fact that the campus was still very much foreign to me. Luckily I had remembered all the campus information from training day ! I met people from pretty much all over Sydney again, including this couple who I regularly see bowling at work.

After the campus tour, we took the students to a class room and made them do a scavenger hunt activity. Once they had finished, we talked to them about student life and the important rules and breaches of conduct that they should be aware about. It was like teaching a class ! I'm just thankful we were allocated to a great bunch of kids instead of a bunch of dickheads who couldn't care less. =)

0 comments:


read their blogs :)
adrian | ainna | audrey | jasmine| nicole| timothy