Wednesday, July 23, 2008

...And Actors and Actresses Assessed

So I watched The Dark Knight last night. My desire to watch the movie really took care of itself. You're talking about a movie that surpassed Spider Man 3 at the box office in a million categories, surpassed The Godfather to be the #1 film on imdb.com and currently boasts a 94% on rotten tomatoes. When all these factors come into play, you really have no reason not to watch it, unless of course you're a *bleeping* idiot.

Bale was outstanding as usual. When you have Bale in a film, it's a definite given that the film will kick ass. I also think it's safe to say that Heath Ledger left with a bang, and I'm happy for him and the movie. His performance in terms of creepiness is right up there with Ed Harris in Just Cause and Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Obviously his role warranted a more versatile performance and I'm certain he nailed it. To highlight the passion he incorporates into this character, put it this way. If you were to watch The Dark Knight without knowing the cast and then later find out it was Heath Ledger playing the Joker, you'd think 'no way'.

While I'm on the subject of films, I figured I'd compile a list of my Top 10 films. I must say however that my Top 10 is always changing, so here is the current list. You'll notice that my list is missing foreign flavor, simply because I haven't had the opportunity to see any good foreign films. Either way, I encourage you to watch the accompanying youtube clips to get an insight to the films if you haven't already seen them.

My Top 10 films:

10. The Deer Hunter (1978) - Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken, Meryl Streep.
A brilliant psychological film that focuses on how the Vietnam War affects the lifestyles of a group of industrial workers and their families. While this is a war movie, the movie emphasizes emotional stability rather than action. I repeat, it is not a shoot-em-up, but more a character driven piece. On initial viewing I thought the pre-war section was quite long, but eventually I realized it was important in establishing the build-up to what would become post-war or the 'result'.

Check out this clip showing 'part of' the Russian Roulette scene. Perhaps the most intense scene of the film.



9. American History X (1998) - Edward Norton, Edward Furlong
With the exception of his small role in The Italian Job, this film was my first exposure to Edward Norton and safe to say, he left me with a great 'second' impression. The film looks at a former neo-nazi skinhead's attempt to prevent his younger brother from going down the same path.

While I have all the respect in the world for Norton, I don't believe his later performances have matched the intensity and passion put into this film. His only other performance that comes close to his role in the film is his role as the alter boy in Primal Fear back in '96. Back on track, the movie provides the audience with a philosophical insight to the world of black and white. If there was one thing I disliked about the movie, it would be the ending, but for all the wrong reasons if you know what I mean.



8. Before Sunrise (1995) / Before Sunset (2004) - Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy
Yes that's right people, I'm a fan of romantic dramas as well. If you don't like it, then you can go to hell. I put these two films together as one because they are basically one whole film if you combine them. Before Sunrise shows how a young man named Jesse (Hawke) meets a young woman (Delpy) in Europe. They end up spending the night together, forming a very special bond, unfortunately they both realize it may be their only night together. Before Sunset is set 9 years later in which the couple meet again on Jesse's book tour of France. Like the first film, this one day may be their only chance together.

The film does a great job of capturing a couple's adventure that has endured an 8 year gap. It shows how strong a couple can stand against the test of time. I must give props to both lead actors and their acting ability since the film features various one-take scenes that durate over 5 minutes. In fact, the average shot length is 10.1 minutes.

Why do I like this movie so much? It's simple. I'm attracted to the characters, to the extent that to this day I still carry hope that they're going to make a 3rd film.



7. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) - Gene Wilder
This film perhaps pretty much sums up my whole childhood. It's been years since I last watched this film, but I remember it as if I watched it only an hour ago. In fact I must have watched it at least 30 times up to now, it's that good. Watching it all those years ago, I was green with envy of those kids that got to be surrounded by all that candy even if it only a film.



6. American Psycho (2000) - Christian Bale, William Dafoe.
While I haven't read the book, and I doubt I ever will, I thoroughly enjoyed this film, particularly Bale's performance. Bale plays a wealthy New York banking executive named Patrick Bateman who secretly carries a psychopathic alter-ego, eventually unveiling this alternate ego upon his co-workers and friends. Bale's talent is clearly evident in this film, with his artificial yet accurate American accent despite being from Wales, as well as his ability to demonstrate different personalities. Defoe is also great as the cop who is investigating whether Bateman was behind the murders or not.

One of my favorite scenes:


5. Police Story (1985) - Jackie Chan, Maggie Cheung
This would have to be pinned down as my favorite Jackie Chan film, and its a shame his later movies are unparalled to the genius of this film. Jackie Chan shows us his versaility in this film by not being the lead, but also the director. I'll be honest though, I'm guilty of watching Jackie Chan films for only the action. Police Story however contains a great script, and magnificent acting of a Spielberg or Scorcese standard. The scene where Chan is about to be arrested by his own police force is the single most intense acting I have seen from Chan. The film has been an inspiration for other action movies as well. For example, the scene in Bad Boys II where they drive through the shack village was taken from Police Story.

Check out one of the greatest fight sequences ever. They eventually nick-named this movie 'Glass Story' because of so much glass used.



4. Die Hard (1988) - Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman
Over the decades we have been blessed with many entertaining action flicks, including Predator, Under Siege and Hard Target, but this film definitely takes the cake.



3. Memento (2000) - Guy Pearce, Carrie-Ann Moss
This is the film that truly exposed director Christopher Nolan to the film industry. Since then, he has gone on to direct Batman Begins, The Prestige and The Dark Knight, which most would consider to be as brilliant. Director Nolan was also responsible for the screenplay of this film.

Guy Pearce plays Leonard Shelby, a man suffering from short-term memory loss. Under his condition, he uses notes and tattoos to find out the people who murdered his wife. This movie is confusing upon first viewing. At first I was trying to figure out whether Teddy was a good guy or bad guy, but after a couple more watches, I understand everything now.

For a low budget film, this film truly is fantastic. Original as well.



2. The Cure (1995) - Brad Renfo (R.I.P)
This is another one of those films I watched many times as a kid. The film looks at Dexter, an 11 year old with AIDS who befriends his older and much bigger neighbor Eric. The pair become best friends and go on an adventure to look for a cure for Dexter's illness.

I don't care how much of a man you are when you watch this film. If you don't at least shed a little tear at the end of the film, there's truly something wrong with you.

Here is the first 9 minutes of the film. The whole movie is available on youtube.




... now for my number one film that has always been my number one

...

... number one by a longshot

...

... I based my first ever HSC assessment task on this movie, and I FAILED with a mark of 7/15.

...

... BUT it's still my favorite film of all time.

...

... It is ...

...

...

...

1. Stand By Me (1986) - Jerry O'Connel, River Pheonix (R.I.P)
This film really needs no introduction. I don't care how old it is, you should have at least seen it at one point in your life. If not, shame on you and keep reading.

I first watched this film when I was 3 or 4 years old. I eventually bought the VHS and I still enjoy it on every viewing. Everything about this movie is perfect. Story, casting, acting, heck even the soundtrack is ace. Great performances from such a young bunch of actors including a young Jerry O'Connel, River Pheonix, Keifer Sutherland and John Cusack.

The film centres on a man's reflection of his boyhood, particularly a journey he undertook with 3 other friends in a quest to find a missing body. Within minutes, we are engaged in his reflection as we follow the footsteps from home all the way to the discovery of the missing body. The train dodge scene will go down as one of my favorite scenes in a film.

I've seen this film too many times, enough to be able to recite all dialogue.

Here are the first few minutes of the film.



Thanks for reading ! I encourage you to see these films if you have not already done so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love you list of movies, quite versatile. American History x, die hard and stand by me are also some of my favs!

Relgin said...

You've got an old school taste for movies. I don't think i could ever collaborate something like this. (Movies is a broad subject)
I really enjoyed your pick for Jackie Chan: Police Story and Willy Wonka. Good on ya

COOL! GRAND JAR LOSER said...

ehi. wowow la tua lista non ha 'Godfather'. Interessante. Beh.. Ho alcuni i film dei stranieri per te... "Amores Perros" (Gael Garcia Bernal), "Amelie"(Audrey Tautou), "Priceless"(Audrey Tautou), "Y Tu Mama Tambien"(Gael Garcia Bernal) e "Science of Sleep"(Gael Garcia Bernal).


read their blogs :)
adrian | ainna | audrey | jasmine| nicole| timothy