Tuesday, April 29, 2008

...And Atypical Arrangements Amuse

For some strange reason I had the sudden urge to read over the first couple of blog entries I ever wrote and boy did I laugh, especially at my first blog. Here's an amusing quote.

"Facebook was never really my cup of tea anyway; at least blogspot is much more personal."

That quote is just so wrong on many levels, and yes I'm aware that I'm the victim. Perhaps that quote had its element of authenticity back in January when it was written, which would then of course render this post futile and obsolete, but the thought of even applying that quote to the present day is amusing. I can definitely reveal that I'm a Facebook 'bum' despite how application-free my profile may appear. At least I'm not as addicted as I was with myspace where I would spend 3 hours straight on Adobe Photoshop designing technical layouts for the sake of standing out. Facebook wins baby, honey's get all over that.

Well that's the end of that chapter.
Let's vent.

Lately I've been doing the random and uncharacteristic. Apart from refusing to wear a jacket/jumper to uni when I know I'll be there until night time in the freezing cold, for some sudden reason I'm really into the 80's pop music such as Madonna, Belinda Carlisle and Taylor Dayne. I've had a very flexible musical journey throughout my life I can tell you that much.
Let's review.

  • Year 6 - Nu-metal; Limp Bizkit, Korn, Slipknot, etc.
  • Year 7-8 - Gangsta Rap; Bone Thugs N Harmony, E-40, 2pac, Gangsta Pat, etc
  • Year 9 - Metal; Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, Pantera, Nevermore, etc.
  • Year 10 - Death Metal; Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy, Death, etc.
  • Year 11 - Tech-Death Metal; Necrophagist, Martyr, Arsis, Anata, Origin, etc.
  • Year 12 - Mixed
As you can see, Years 9 through to 12 was artistically and musically one dimensional. I really don't remember what spawned the change from Gangsta Rap to Metal but I carry no regrets. The great thing about Metal is the diversity; there are so many genres to listen to. One day I'd be listening to the old school heavyness of Dismember and Morbid Angel, another day I'd be listening to the arthritis-inducing riffs of Necrophagist and Origin.

One of the benefits to being a metalhead are the faces that people pull off when they ask you what music you're into.

Person: So Lenny bro, what kind of music you into? Rap?
Lenny: I'm into Death Metal.
Person: WTF. *pulls off the "I've just seen a ghost' face".* But you're asian.

Nowdays I am really really flexible to what I listen to. I feel it is necessary to give credit where it's due. One of the driving forces that iniated my breakthough was when Audrey introduced me to a band called Acceptance. I really wasn't into the whole pop-rock thing at the time, but this band alone grew on me, especially before the HSC saga. Listening to Acceptance taught me that's it's no crime to like two extremely contrasting genres. Musical taste is something that comes with age I guess. But yes, ever since Year 12 I'm open to pretty much everything. Heck even that new Souljah Boy song is a charm.

Ok that last part was a lie.

Perhaps the most prominent genre that I've glued my ears to since Primary School would be Old School R&B. We're talking late 80's to early 90's material like Boyz II Men, Intro, Changing Faces, Jade, SWV, Jodeci, Hi-Five, Brownstone, etc. Even during my death metal phase, I would listen to these artists from time to time. They don't make pure R&B like the 90's anymore. Nowdays our television sets are dominated by uninspired garbage featuring plastic females.

A man's musical journey can no doubt turn 180 degrees, but his roots can never be forgotten.

4 comments:

Vince/Toby/Tobz said...

awesome post

im into the 80's atm also

but i'll listen to anything too

remember the song december 1963 by the four seasons?

classic :)

COOL! GRAND JAR LOSER said...

blizzy, you make my heart sing. dont you ever change.

I was talking to werra before and he claimed that im not diverse in my musical tastes. I then said that N.W.A = Metallica, to which he just said 'sigh im gay bla' and says that im not divese because i listen to 1 genre at a time. That said, you can only listen to a SONG at a time.

i made him cum blood.

e' pau e' pedra
e fim do cominho.

ps. my spelling is shit, the cold is fucked my fingers.

Relgin said...

try some jazz bud. listen to something a little more older.
i recommend frank sinatra.

i can't believe you can remember what you listen too in your high school days. amazing. good memory. good post. kudos

Anonymous said...

woot, i got mentioned in a post. 'feel so famous right now'..heheheh.

oh wow, why must all your blogs sound so professional? ...seriously, you should think of a career as an english professor or something..

anyways. good post..especially the timeline and the dialogue between yourself and a random.

ps. hows set your goals going for ya?


read their blogs :)
adrian | ainna | audrey | jasmine| nicole| timothy